Post #2 My Genius Hour Research

This week I spent my genius hour researching online about the effect music has on running performance.

I was able to find several articles on the topic from major running magazines.  I was also able to find a video of an interview that became a hot-topic in the running community, where an athlete claimed listening to music while running is "cheating".

Below I will copy and paste my research notes, which include links to the articles and the video.

From the articles I found that several sport psychiatrists have opinions on the topic, and quite a few studies have been done on the topic.  Also, the running magazines have done their own polls from their readers to gauge personal opinions among runners.  The specific details of these findings can be found in my research notes below, and will be explained in more detail by me in future blog posts.

I learned that it appears there is quite extensive and conclusive research on the specific question as to whether running affects performance (it does in most people).  But I also learned that as a result the practice can be controversial, with some races banning musical devices for competitive runners, and some individuals calling it a method of artificial performance enhancement akin to cheating.

Before my next genius hour I would like to read some online discussions on the controversy and see if I can uncover any more studies that have been done on the topic.

From there I'd like to assemble the research findings, and also put down my own personal anecdotal opinion on the topic to see how it compares.


Here are my research notes from my genius hour this week:

Website:  https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a20799208/should-you-listen-to-music-while-running/

Article:  Should You Listen to Music While Running?

Notes:

-2016 Runner’s World survey found 61% run to music, and of that 82% listen to their favorite music

-Sports psychologist says music’s positive influence optimal mindset

-having a beat that matches your desired cadence has shown in studies to improve results

-a study showed listening to favorite music reduces exertion levels and imropves sense of “being in the zone”
--the external stimulus blocks internal stimuli like fatigue
--that change in perception allows us to run farther longers

-Can be bad for safety reasons

-Some people find themselves running with pace of music when it’s not a optimal tempo, getting in the way of their desired cadence

-USATF in 2007 banned portable devices for those competing in Championships for awards, medals, prize money

-for some, the music takes AWAY from the running experience
--I can relate to this, I sometimes go long periods without music on my runs

 

Website:  https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene/7-reasons-to-listen-to-music-while-you-run/

Article:  7 Reasons to listen to music while you run

-music has similar effect on brain as running, promoting brain cell growth

-Can improve endurance

-solo runs les monotonous

-boosts mood

-enhances runners high

-music reduces stress

-can hold faster pace with music as platform

-the faster you run, the less effect the music has

-music helps disassociators and is less helpful to associators (who are the fastest, or anyone pushing)

-avoid music if coming back from injury as you want to stay fully aware of body

-race officials often ask for no music for safety reasons

Website:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lre-OpA-utU&ab_channel=JREClips

Video:  Joe Rogan & David Goggins – Listening to Music While Working Out is Cheating

-He argues you need to self motivate, that music is cheating, and people will find themselves lost without it

-he did a pull up record, listened to Rocky I music for 17 hours straight to motivate himself

-he says you should know your internal motivation


Comments