Post #5 - Another experiment, how about a good conversation?

 For my research this week, I considered a new question:  could I possibly use methods other than music to get a similar performance boost?

Specifically, it occurred to me that running while engaged in a lively conversation might also proved the same benefits as music, by distracting me from perceived effort etc.

Typically I almost always run alone, and I much prefer it this way.  I prefer to run on my own for many reasons:  I like to set my own pace and not be tied to others, I like to get lost in my thoughts, I want to be able to alter the distance of my run during the activity (go further if I'm feeling good, cut it short if I'm tired).  This also means I almost never talk while I'm running, and have very little experience with it.

My wife on the other hand loves to run with people, and even helps lead a popular run group in Toronto.  I know that she feels she benefits from chatting with others while running, and that it helps pass the time and get her into a steady flow state.

For this experiment I went for a run with my wife.  Beforehand I explained to her the purpose of the run, and we selected a couple topics to cover: our thoughts and plans for a family vacation next year, and some issues with what other chores the kids can be doing around the house.

Right from the start we got into our conversation, and as I got engaged with our topic, I quickly forgot that the run was an experiment for my Genius Hour.  And the time passed by very quickly!  It seemed like before I knew it we were at the 3km mark, and cruising along.

It's a bit of a funny thing to report on, because the state I'm trying to achieve requires me to not be aware of it as it happens.  This is why my running with music experiment a couple weeks ago was a failure.  If I do achieve the disassociated state I desire, I can only consciously recognize it after the fact, as thinking of it as it happens immediately disrupts the disassociation.  

And on this occasion, reflecting on the run after it was over, I can say with certainty that I was completely engaged in the conversation, and my running performance was boosted by the activity.  So I can conclude that at least some of the benefits of running with music (boost mood, distract from perceived effort) can be attained through conversing with others while running.

Comments